A cornerstone of the flourishing area known as the Metro East, Edwardsville boasts a rich history and an even brighter future. One of the first communities in Illinois, Edwardsville was founded in the early 1800’s as a territorial outpost. The area quickly blossomed into a center for industry and commerce, including agriculture, milling, mining, and brick making. The community is rich with heritage, and today boasts 39 buildings that have been declared historical landmarks, as well as three areas that have been pronounced historical districts. With such a rich history, what is even more impressive is Edwardsville’s unique, shared emphasis on striving towards a successful future for the community.
Why do people choose Edwardsville? Simple. It’s for the lifestyle and overall quality of living that Edwardsville provides. Residents and businesses all find the community to be attractive and affordable. Edwardsville is convenient to the big city, yet relaxed. The city is on the cutting edge of education and economics, yet stays true to its small town charm with frequent civic festivals and a thriving parks and recreations system. The city is proud of its dynamic business leaders and dedicated public servants, its vibrant downtown and its high quality educational offerings. Simply put, Edwardsville is a unique and special place to shop, dine, work, and live.
• Third oldest city in Illinois
• Home to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville - A Division 1 University
• Average median income of $60,316.00
• Offers five parks, many amenities and a 46 acre wildlife preserve
• 85 miles of scenic bike trails
• Located at the intersection of three major highways
• Arts In The Park: Featuring band concerts, plays and children's activities